[H-GEN] Multi-thread downloads

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Sun May 30 21:35:36 EDT 2004

On 2004-05-30, Russell Stuart wrote:

> In any case, pontificating on how morally bad it is seems to
> me to be waste of time

Judging from the lack of support for my position, it may well
have been a waste of time attempting to make my point.  All the
same, I believe quite strongly that the argument I made was a
reasonable one and I'm going to re-state it, as it seems that at
least some people have not yet understood it.

My belief is that, when we discover that somebody who owns some
resource has put a limit on it, the right thing to do is *not*
to immediately look for ways to get around the restriction; but
to either accept the restriction or to speak to the owner to
find out if we fit into some exception category that the owner
is happy to allow additional resource use.

> until we know what behaviour is expected
> from us.  And that requires real communication.  So lets do
> that.

Indeed.  Those who are not happy with the present situation
should indeed speak to the Humbug executive to ask what can be
done; and then they need to wait patiently until such time as
the executive announces something.  Those who prefer not to make
waves can do as I do -- I'm downloading the FreeBSD-4.10 ISO
over my ADSL link at this very moment.  It'll take 7 to 8 hours,
but I can live with that.

Cheers, Greg