[H-GEN] Multi-thread downloads

Raymond Smith raymond at humbug.org.au
Mon May 31 02:27:36 EDT 2004

[ Speaking for myself; not the executive. ]

On Sun, May 30, 2004 at 12:17:21PM +1000, Russell Stuart wrote:
> I may have missed something, but I don't recall saying officially
> what Humbug's position on download during the meeting is.  This
> is the real problem - its a communication problem.

I don't think we have ever had an official position. I guess we
have made an assumption that people will learn to be respectful
and so there was no need. I'm not really sure what an official
position would look like. I don't know how you codify respect
for community resources.

What would you expect from such a document?

> If someone has said, "look - Humbug's bandwidth usage is putting
> a strain on our relationship with the University - we must limit
> it", then this response is entirely appropriate.

I do not think it is doing this.

> But that is not what happened.  No one has said anything.  We
> are left to infer what the new Humbug policy might be, given
> the restrictions that have been enacted.
>
> Only I doubt the Humbug executive has a new policy, because they
> are in the same position the members are in - somehow bandwidth
> limiting came into being, and they don't know why it has been
> put in place either.

You are correct.

> As a wild guess, it looks like is was put in place to stop
> students with laptops sucking bandwidth while they attending
> lectures and tutorials.  From the Universities point of view
> the most negative part of this might be the students are being
> distracted from what they are supposed to be doing in the
> lecture theatre - not the bandwidth usage.

This is my theory also.

> In any case, pontificating on how morally bad it is seems to
> me to be waste of time until we know what behaviour is expected
> from us.  And that requires real communication.  So lets do
> that.

I think Greg made a valid point; his acerbic touch is a signature.

Cheers,

Raymond
raymond at humbug.org.au