[H-GEN] PXE capable network cards

Scott Burns sburns at ihug.com.au
Fri May 28 06:09:02 EDT 2004

Hi,

    does anyone know of or work for a company that sells PXE capable
network cards that do not require BIOS support to boot?  Brisbane in
general and northside/Lutwyche a definite bonus.

    I did have a D-Link, not sure of the model but it used the sundance
module, that worked perfectly.  Unfortunately, one of the directors at
my company  borrowed it to do a network install on a new server.  When
he couldnt get the onboard giga network adapter to work he just left my
card in the box and shipped it to Canberra.  Insert fruity language here...

    I snagged a spare intel ee pro 100 which does have PXE boot support
but requires BIOS support to enable it.  This wipes out some of the
older machines we have at work, one of which I need to boot via PXE to
sort out a customer running on similar hardware.

    I bought one from Everything Linux, a D-Link DFE-530, with a
seperate boot rom.  They shipped me a revision 2 chip (42mm x 12mm, two
rows of 16 pins) and a revision 3 card (socket for boot rom 14mm x 12mm,
taking 9 pins on two sides and 7 pins on the other two).  ELX and D-Link
have spent the last week pointing the finger at each other, and neither
really wanted to talk to me.  After the swearing and yelling I got last
time I rang ELX I just want to return the damn thing and get a refund.

    So, if there are any retailers out there interested in an easy sale,
or people who'd like to recommend a local shop, I'd be interested in
hearing from you.

Thanks
Scott