[H-GEN] Mailing List

Paul Gearon pag at tucanatech.com
Fri May 28 01:42:08 EDT 2004

Anthony Towns wrote:
>>It's great that you and others have mail clients that support this feature.
>>A lot of peoples' clients don't.
>

> So what's stopping y'all from getting clients that work right? It's
> not like mutt's expensive,

I've tried to use mutt about 5 times here at work.  On each occasion it
couldn't handle the fact that my home directory was on an NFS mount.  I asked,
but was told that while a patch could make it work, it was best to just wait
until it was fixed.  I eventually gave up.  (you shouldn't have to fight
software this hard)

> or that there aren't other free mailers you
> could use. I was under the impression that evolution held up fairly well
> these days.

I heard a few good things about Evolution in an interview with Miguel a few
years ago, and I've been keen to try it ever since.

The first time I tried it, I had a go at importing a Pine mailbox.  That
crashed Evolution, and left a config file somewhere that I *could*not* find
that refused to let it run again.

Tried again with the next release... tried the addressbook import again...
again it died.

Tried a third time last year.  Same result.

May be I could make it run without the addressbook, but there were just way
too many in there for me to give it up.  Possibly a little effort with some
Perl would have fixed it, but I wasn't THAT desperate to get it running.

OTOH, with the preponderance of HTML that I'm starting to receive (some of
which I actually want to read), the renowned effectiveness of Bayesian filters
(I've since discovered that these things are great), and a client that
actually supports IMAP (many don't), I decided to try Mozilla mail.  It
imported my address book perfectly, and I haven't looked back.

So it annoys me with some mailing lists.  It still has more features for me
than its competitors.  It's also less effort for me to change the mailing
lists than it is to change my software.  ;-)

--
Regards,
Paul Gearon

Software Engineer                Telephone:   +61 7 3876 2188
Tucana Technologies              Fax:         +61 7 3876 4899
                                  http://www.tucanatech.com

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
(Translation from latin: "I have a catapult. Give me all the money,
or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.")