[H-GEN] web based email systems

Sarah Walters s.walters at its.uq.edu.au
Sun May 16 19:00:10 EDT 2004

I'd like to add an extra vote for Squirrelmail.

R&J Stuart wrote:
> I'm interested in hearing what people use for web based email.  Some
> examples I have come across are:
> - openwebmail
Haven't tried this.

> - Horde Imp
I tried this one, more trouble than it's worth to set up IMHO.

> - Squirrelmail
Running this one at home, and am very happy with it.

> - prefer IMAP as the mail repositry
I'm running with a cyrus-imap back end. May I strongly recommend this
over other systems. The database system is robust - I have been able to
rebuild the mailbox after a power outage caused loss of the index file.
It's fast, and it doesn't have the locking issues that mbox does. It is
practically a black box, though you can poke around if you wish. It also
has a basic filtering system built in, though I don't know if
Squirrelmail has an interface to it.

My total system is:

sendmail, with the MIMEDefang milter installed (which calls SpamAssassin
and a virus checker)
cyrus-imap, with the filtering system enabled. I have installed a filter
here that takes anything marked as SPAM by sendmail and puts it in the
SPAM sub-folder of my Inbox.
squirrelmail

Cyrus uses it's own authentication system by default, which is kind of
"kerberosy", but you can (and I did) configure it to authenticate via
PAM. I'm thinking of splitting it up again, though, so I can give out
webmail accounts without creating shell accounts.

--
Sarah Walters
Systems Programmer, Software Infrastructure
Email: s.walters at its.uq.edu.au