[H-GEN] web based email systems

David Jericho davidj at tucanatech.com
Sun May 16 20:28:50 EDT 2004

Robert Brockway wrote:

> On Sun, 16 May 2004, R&J Stuart wrote:
>>I'm interested in hearing what people use for web based email.  Some
>>examples I have come across are:
>>- openwebmail

Urk.

>>- Horde Imp

Begone, evil one!

>>- Squirrelmail

Squirrelmail has jumped the shark.

> I've been running a webmail system on Squirrelmail for a number of years,
> mainly for family.  The users have been happy with the system.

I have a lot of people complain about the interface. It's an engineers
interface to webmail, it works, but it's not pretty. Having said that it
is quite possible to fix it.

A lot of users do like the interface of Horde IMP, but as an
administrator I get tired of constantly patching security holes and the
bloat that goes with it.

I got pointed to Iholamail (http://iholamail.souceforge.net/) by a
fellow SAGE-AU member, and I have to say I am impressed. It's
sufficiently featured to make users happy, and it is lightweight.

It's not Gmail quick, but it's quick.

--
David Jericho
Senior Systems Administrator, Tucana Technologies