[H-GEN] Spamassassin for all domains

Harry Phillips harry at tux.com.au
Sat Mar 20 08:29:54 EST 2004

Joel Michael wrote:

> But, the one thing that is worse than all the spam and viruses put
> together, is bloody VIRUS SCANNER BOUNCES!  I've lost count of how many
> helpdesk jobs I've been assigned (and I'm level 2/3 support, I'd hate to
> see what level 1 support is like!) because somebody's email address was
> spoofed and they are receiving virus bounces.

Following on from an earlier post by me asking about a Virus Scanner
bounces response template.

I sent out the one I posted and got an angry response or two :). I have
since modified using some of the suggestions of the list members, it is
now like this:

---------------Template start-----------------

I am the administrator and I would like to inform you of some facts that
you may not be aware of:

1. All modern viruses/worms fake the sender e-mail address.
2. That includes the one you are notifying us about.
3. We have a virus scanner that scans incoming and outgoing mail.
4. That virus scanner checks for definition updates every hour.
5. You have not updated the configuration of your mail scanner to take
into account that modern viruses fake the sender address.
6. This causes unnessescary doubt and confusion to innocent third
party's that have had their e-mail address used by someone else that is
infected.

I would suggest you turn off the "Reply to sender" notification of your
virus scanner because it will NEVER get to the person that is
infected.

Please consider this an official notification that we wish to be removed
from your notification list under the anti-spam legislation.

If you would like to view some reasons and discussion of why we and many
other administrators consider these "virus detected notifications" to be
spam -> http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=165&st=0

I found that including the above link has been more helpful on getting
the other administrator to change their mind about these notifications
(hey who wants to be blacklisted :) and get them on side to fight to get
the policy changed if they don't have power to make the decision themselves.

It was so effective that one of the angry respondents to my earlier
template has convinced his worldwide company to turn off the notification.

--
Regards,
Harry Phillips