[H-GEN] rpppoe problem

Sandra Milne fakungabubu at internode.on.net
Thu Jan 8 19:28:01 EST 2004

OK, I admit I fiddled with something. Now that that's out of the way,
here's my problem and what I've done to try and solve it.

I type adsl-start and it goes through the motions then times out.
I look at the output of ifconfig and it tells me that eth1 is up but
with no IP.
I type ifdown eth1 and it replies interface eth1 is not configured
Even with a --force I cannot take down the interface. I reboot and all
is as it should be.
I thought "OK, this is because I stupidly did something in the
adsl-start script when I knew I shouldn't touch it" so I reinstalled
rpppoe using the ./go script. (After removing the offending lines from
the adsl-start script with no change.)
Still get the exact same problem.
So I think "OK, maybe my ISP is down". I'm currently connected to them
using a windows machine so that's not the problem.

I'm having a bit of trouble trying to find similar situations in the
documentation or on the newsgroups and any suggestions (short of
reinstalling the entire OS) would be more than welcome.

Sandra (feeling more than a little foolish right now)
fakungabubu at internode.on.net
http://www.livejournal.com/users/silne/
Emperor Staleek: Your safety guaranteed in just a few arns.
John: Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows, how you going to
guarantee my safety.
   -- "Hot to Katratzi" Farscape season 4 episode 20