[H-GEN] Re: intermittent cable connxn outage

Scott Burns sburns at ihug.com.au
Wed Dec 8 04:35:23 EST 2004

Troy Piggins wrote:

> Not DNS, and can't see modem when down.  Must be local.

Okay, let's have a look at the hardware.  I assume you have a number of
hubs/switches, and by the hour, that there are not many people there?

If possible, grab a spare hub and plug it in so that the connection to
the modem goes RH9->Hub->Modem.  Pay attention to cross over cables.
You should be able to see lights flashing on the hub as messages go out.

It doesn't sound like cabling problems so we'll assume it won't
magically fix itself when we do this.

What I'd be looking at is what happens to the flashing lights next time
you have an outage.  If the lights stop flashing you probably aren't
transmitting, and we need to look at the linux box.  If they are
flashing I'd suspect the modem and then I'm out of my depth.  I'd try to
get a second modem to rule out that, but I'm really not familiar with
the software or the type of modem.

Anyway, what I'd try next is the hub so you can see a bit of traffic.

Scott