[H-GEN] Improving UDP performance on firewall?

David Harrison trogspam at games.telstra.com
Thu Dec 2 21:03:24 EST 2004

> As to the original question - David, have you been keeping metrics on
> latency and throughput? You really need to analyse this a bit more
> thouroughly.

Yeh, I'm using MRTG to graph throughput and Smokeping to track
latency/packetloss - basically at the same time every night everything
starts going to hell and the numbers are matching up where I would
expect (ie, it hits a certain traffic volume and then this affects
pings/loss).

Unfortunately I'm far from a network engineer but I'm finding this an
interesting problem so I'm spending some time looking at it in the hope
a few of us working on it can get it resolved faster - unfortunately our
window for testing stuff is only an hour or so every night during peak
times, and its time I'd rather be spending sacked out on the couch :)

-- dave