Fwd: [H-GEN] Improving UDP performance on firewall?

Rob Kearey rob.kearey at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 20:38:45 EST 2004

Whoops, reply-to bit me.

> > You might want to get one of those NICs that has an on-board processor
> > rather than generic cards that uses your computer's CPU.

> What? I thought only the crappy Winmodems did that sort of thing? Can
> you give an example of a NIC that does that?

Willy is talking about a 'feature' called tcp-stack offloading. It's a
pile of crap, a generally rotten idea. There are some things that you
can offload to the NIC nicely [checksumming, etc] but a whole tcp
stack? Pure evil. Avoid.

As to the original question - David, have you been keeping metrics on
latency and throughput? You really need to analyse this a bit more
thouroughly.

--
RobK

--