[H-GEN] CRUX (A programmers linux distro)

Tim Browne dugb at netspace.net.au
Thu Aug 5 00:54:03 EDT 2004

Sandra Mansell wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 12:11:08PM +1000, Tim Browne wrote:
>
>>The Gentoo documentation is not 100%, but it has improved with the latest
>>release. For better or worse I do Gentoo installs on a semi-regular basis
>>and it is much simpler the second, third ..... time round.
>

> See that's where my issue lies. I thought the point of linux was that
> you shouldn't have to constantly reinstall it like some other OSes that
> run in my household. A lot of people complain about the debian installer
> but when we were trying to install Gentoo, I was like "installer? what
> installer?"
>
> We are looking into trying Gentoo again soon. I'm going to setup a
> dedicated Linux desktop machine alongside my *cough*other*cough* machine
> and I'll be able to play with lots of distributions to see which one
> works best for me. I'll also be testing lots of 'desktop' applications
> to see what I'm going to switch over to linux and what is best left to
> the domain of other OSes at the present time.
>
> It's not so much that I don't have the time, it's that I just don't have
> the pieces lying around my home at the moment. I'm slowly collecting
> what I need and I'll probably be bringing pieces to HUMBUG when I do get
> it all together so I can get some assistance with various distributions
> that I've not had success installing yet. (Gentoo, Libranet, Lycoris)
>
> Sandra.

Sorry,  I may not have expressed myself very well. I don't mean I have to
re-install on the same machine all the time, I install Gentoo on old a new
hardware to create file, web, email servers for businesses.

I run a Gentoo system to service all our office needs - word processing,
spreadsheets, graphics, web, email, accounting. The only thing I use a windoze
box for is the upkeep of several application written specifically for that OS.

Linux is great for most office work. One area that is still a little week is a
good accounting application, although there are a couple out there that look
promising.

Tim Browne.