[H-GEN] on text editors

James Mills prologic at shortcircuit.net.au
Sun Aug 1 01:01:16 EDT 2004

On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 12:56:17AM -0400, Robert Brockway wrote:
> I'm not in Brissie anymore (except in September) but I think a LyX demo is
> a cool idea.  It is not a widely used app even among Unix heads.  Part of
> the problem is that the approach to document writing differs from a
> traditional "office application" (formerly known as a word processor).

Good. We'll do that perhaps next Meeting. Though you won't be there
(pitty).

The thing that drove me to find another 'word processing' type tool was
the impatience I got with having to format everything and worry about
what your document's resulting output was.

On the other hand, LyX isn't like that. You only have to worry about the
document's content, not it's resulting output. In that respect it's
quite efficient and allows writing documents quite quickly. I guess it's
what I call the "no mucking around" word processor. Others that have
used LyX before will agree :)

cheers
James

--