[H-GEN] NFS exporting

ben.carlyle at invensys.com ben.carlyle at invensys.com
Tue Apr 13 23:13:34 EDT 2004

Harry,

Harry Phillips <harry at tux.com.au>
Sent by: general-bounces at lists.humbug.org.au
14/04/2004 12:53 PM

        To:     general at lists.humbug.org.au
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: [H-GEN] NFS exporting

Josh Marshall wrote:
> > on the nfs client the fstab entry looks like this:
> > 192.168.3.8:/storage/vpopmail   /var/lib/vpopmail       nfs
> > hard,intr,rsize=8192,wsize=8192 0       0
> Very similar, I have soft instead of hard and I don't have the intr.

I suspect neither option will help. Here's the relevant excerpt from the
mount(8) man page:

hard The program accessing a file on a NFS mounted file system will hang
when the server crashes. The process cannot be interruprted or killed
unless you also specify intr. When the NFS server is back online the
program will continue undisturbed from where it was. This is probably what
you want.

The soft entry goes on to say that soft will return a read error after a
timeout.

> I will try them later and let you know how it goes. As you could imagine

> I was getting alot of false leads when searching Google for the terms:
> nfs root write access exports options fstab
> All *very* common words when you are talking about Linux.

I like to try and guess phrases that will appear in the document I'm
looking for. I just typed the following into google:
"to allow" "root access" nfs

The first reference is entitled "Root Access On NFS", which appears to
cover ground you've already seen. Perhaps other entries will help, or
spark a realisation that you may have missed (for example, do you have to
-SIGHUP the nfs daemon?)

Benjamin.