[H-GEN] Samba and Cups any idea?

irwa82 at froggy.com.au irwa82 at froggy.com.au
Tue Sep 16 03:38:59 EDT 2003

Hi,

I have read every cups and samba tutorial that I could find and I still
can't get the thing to work. Windows sees the printer and can access it
without any error messages but when you try to print a test page you get
this message “Test page failed to print. Would you like to view the print
troubleshooter for assistance? Unable to create a print job.”.

I am running a Debian Stable machine and using Samba 2.2.3a-12.3 and Cups
1.1.14-5.

Below I have included any information that I thought might help diagnose
why it doesn't want to work.

Output from cat /proc/sys/dev/parport/parport0/autoprobe

CLASS:PRINTER;
MODEL:ML-1210;
MANUFACTURER:Samsung;
COMMAND SET:GDI;

Output from lpstat -t

scheduler is running
system default destination: nsamsung
device for nsamsung: parallel:/dev/lp0
nsamsung accepting requests since Jan 01 00:00
printer nsamsung is idle.  enabled since Jan 01 00:00

Output from lpinfo -v

network socket
network http
network ipp
network lpd
direct parallel:/dev/lp0
serial serial:/dev/ttyS0?baud=115200
serial serial:/dev/ttyS1?baud=115200
serial serial:/dev/ttyS2?baud=115200
serial serial:/dev/ttyS3?baud=115200
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp0
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp1
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp2
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp3
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp4
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp5
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp6
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp7
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp8
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp9
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp10
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp11
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp12
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp13
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp14
direct usb:/dev/usb/lp15
network smb

This is what cups says about the printer from the
http://localhost:631/printers tool. Cups prints a test page fine.

nsamsung  Samsung ML-4500, Foomatic + gdi
Location: nsamsung
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs.
Device URI: parallel:/dev/lp0

This is anything that is not commented out in the /etc/samba/smb.conf file.
I realise that the encrypt passwords = false is a bad thing and should be
encrypted but the network has all the computers with encrypted passwords
turned off and getting the printers working is their main priority after
the printers work the network will change to have encrypted passwords.

[global]

   workgroup = workgroups
   server string = Samba Server
   printcap name = cups
   load printers = yes
   printing = cups

   log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log

   max log size = 0
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = false

   wins support = yes
   dns proxy = no

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
   valid users = %S
   create mode = 0664
   directory mode = 0775

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = yes
   public = yes
   print command = lp -c -d%p -o raw; rm %s
   #print command = lpr -P %p -o raw %s -r
   lpq command = lpstat -o %p
   lprm command = cancel %p-%j

   guest ok = yes
   writable = no
   printable = yes
   use client driver = yes
   security = share

I don't know why it doesn't work and don't know what else to try if anyone
has any suggestions or can point me in the right direction it would be
greatly appreciated.

Sorry about the long email but I thought it best to put as much information
as I could into the email.

Kind Regards,
Anthony Irwin

http://mail2web.com/ .