LindowsOs - Was: [H-GEN] Supporting Mozilla

Tony Bilbrough mtbilbro at bigpond.net.au
Mon Oct 20 21:39:56 EDT 2003

G'day David & Sandra,
I was wondering if you, or any one else, have tried Xandros? Its a
Debian based package.
I bought a copy a while back [about $70, though I can't remember for
sure] and it works fantasticly well.
I am about to set my wife's computer up with it to see if I can wean her
[and hopefully Cath Ed, eventually] away from the more expensive MS
products.
There are a few small anoying things, but:
like it really does run more slowly than its counterpart, and Open
Office [pre packaged] takes a fair while longer to fire up too.
While it can read Word documents, it sometimes seems reluctant to
produce a .doc the other way, one that can be read on the schools' MS
run computers.

Though none enough to make me want to change to another flavour of Desktop.

I have not yet tried Lindows, but guess I could get a trial copy at the
next Humbug, on Saturday?
It would be most interesting to compare them on the same machine.

As for Mozilla. Great programme. I use nothing else - for Web and for
Mail. But I have yet to try the latest version.
A bit of 'if it works, leave it alone' now, as most of my Linux update
experiences have been somewhat more than a little traumatic.
On 2 occasions, somewhat more like an emetic administered to the entire
contents of my HDD.

cheers Tony B

  I have been playing with the LindowsOS boot from CD for a little while, so

--
dd if=/dev/fd0 of=quoll_id
dd if=quoll_id of=/dev/fd0