[H-GEN] rebuilding a machine

Marco Grigull kni501ss at optushome.com.au
Fri May 9 22:28:53 EDT 2003

On Sat, 10 May 2003 09:29:12 +1000
Sandra Milne <silne at optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> OK, my brother finally got a new hard drive for his computer so my old
> 13gig drive has been returned to me. I want to put this in my linux
> router/firewall/server b0x as the primary hard drive, replacing the
> 2.5gig drive that hasn't been enough disk space for about 3 months now.

If there is room enough, can you add it in as a secondary drive, or on
the second ide channel?

> I'm wanting to setup a proper server space on the drive using samba, and
> an intranet (which we already have going, complete with databases and
> php frontends).
>
> What I'm curious about, is how people would suggest the best use of the
> disk space available is. The samba share needs to be accessible by
> people who don't have a user account on the b0x (read-only), and
> writable by everyone who does have an account on the b0x.

By adding the second disk at say /usr/disk1 or something simalar,
you can then set about moving anything (directories) but /etc /root /*bin
/etc to the new disk/partition, deleting the old and putting a symbolic
link to the new directory in its place.

This minimises disk space loses due to partitioning efforts.  This
also minimises disruption to existing services.

my au.02