[H-GEN] rebuilding a machine

Sandra Milne silne at optusnet.com.au
Fri May 9 23:24:29 EDT 2003

Marco Grigull wrote:

> If there is room enough, can you add it in as a secondary drive, or on
> the second ide channel?

It's faster and newer than the drive currently in the machine. And no,
there's not physically enough space in the case for another drive, as
the old one is quite large.

> This minimises disk space loses due to partitioning efforts.  This
> also minimises disruption to existing services.

Disruption to existing services isn't really a hassle. Optus caps us at
3gig anyway, and some months we go through that more quickly than
others. (This being one of those months we're already through the 3gig.)

I'm blowing away partitions on the new disk anyway, and wanted to
completely reinstall debian 3.0 as the current effort is a dist-upgrade
that's gotten a bit messy as ppl (read me) decided "hey this would be
kewl", installed it, then went "oh wait that wasn't want I wanted",
tried to remove it, and left various packages scattered around
half-installed and very messy. etc etc ad nauseum. long story shortened,
production b0xes are not for playing with. lesson learned, rebuild badly
needed.

Sandra.
silne at optusnet.com.au
"He claims to be a 'human', from a planet called Erp"
Officer Aeryn Sun, Peacekeeper