[H-GEN] Re: [HUM-TALKS] Talks Update

Ben Fowler fowlerb at optushome.com.au
Sun Mar 16 00:57:49 EST 2003

Russell Stuart wrote:
> Is asking if there is someone out there prepared to do a talk on a
> specific topic OK?  There are a number of things I would like to know
> more about.
>
> What prompted this thought is that I am currently engaged in a screaming
> knock down fight with an ADSL modem, a D-Link 300+ actually.  My usual
> way of attacking such problems is to study and understand the underlying
> protocols.  Once that is accomplished it is relatively easy to apply
> that knowledge to any device I am likely to come across.  This approach
> is not working so well for ADSL modems.  To understand why, consider
> this quote from the introduction of RFC1483, which is the one bridging
> protocol implemented by the modem:

[snip gobbledegook]

 > ... But most
> of these ways seem to be minor twists on existing protocols (ATM, PPP,
> Ethernet frames) combined with glue (like PPTP, RFC 1483, DHCP), plus a
> few big words thrown in to keep out the infidels.  If someone knows
> about this stuff and could prepare a talk on it I would love to hear it.

This is a big area which I'm sure lots of people would love to know
about.  I personally wouldn't know DOCSIS from my elbow, but perhaps
there's somebody out there who knows all about the cable/ADSL alphabet
soup who'd like to step up and do a talk?  I for one am keen to hear
about it.

-regards,

Ben.

--
  Ben Fowler <fowlerb at optushome.com.au>
   pgp keyid: 59533278, FFDE6AE7 [revoked]

  "My, my, my.  Such a lot of guns around town and so few brains."
                                            -- Humphrey Bogart