[H-GEN] Desktop wars ..... (no not really)

Raymond Smith raymond at humbug.org.au
Wed Jun 25 01:31:26 EDT 2003

Nick Kwiatkowski said:
> a) Do I go with a desktop, and if so which (KDE or Gnome or <insert
> others>)?

I use KDE/Debian at home, and GNOME/RedHat at work. Of the two desktops,
I prefer KDE which feels more integrated and has a much better clipboard
than GNOME. I use GNOME at work because I can get more support from
co-workers using than I would if I ran KDE.

I use pretty much the same applications at home as at work (OpenOffice,
Mozilla, Opera) and, beside's missing KDE's clipboard, have not noticed
any signficant differences between the two desktops.

> - or -
> b) Decide on a window manager first and work up from there?

This is another way. If you want a 'windows replacement' then this
is not the best approach as you will have to go to all the work
KDE and GNOME put into mimicing the Windows GUI.

Personally, I can't be bothered configuring Window Managers.

> The knowledge that I don't have is really in the area of the desktops,
> what they contain and how "pluggable" are to different window
> managers/dekstops. ie KDE with kvm and gnome with sawfish, etc.

I believe that KDE and GNOME applications will run quite happily
under various window managers. The whole 'Desktop' thing is much
more about allowing developers to write GUIs using modern approaches
to IPC and 'component-style' development.

Cheers,

Raymond
raymond at humbug.org.au