[H-GEN] vnc ports?

David davido at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jun 16 08:18:50 EDT 2003

 El Lunes 16 Junio 2003 21:52, Michael Anthon escribió:

> David wrote:
> > Can anyone tell me which ports I need to open in a firewall to allow vnc
> > access?
>
> By default VNC uses port 5900 + n, where n is the display number.  So
> display :0 is 5900, :1 is 5901 and so on.  I have run VNC over ssh
> tunnels at times, quite simple and works pretty well.  Depending on
> which compression scheme you use in VNC using compression on the tunnel
> may make things better or worse.
>
> Cheers
> Michael

thanks.

I don't suppose there's a way I can test it from home. e.g. use ssh on the
Linux box here to test if it works. I mean, I can vnc direct to the win2K
machine ok, but rather than waiting until I get to the office tomorrow and
trying it, I won't know if it's working. When I log on to the router I can
open port 5900 but it gives me TCP and UDP options and I don't know which is
correct.

I did ssh <ipaddress> and it returned connection refused.
ssh //<ipaddress> returns name or service not known.

thanks for the help
David the newbie  :-)

--
sql> SELECT * FROM management WHERE clue > 0;
0 rows returned