[H-GEN] vnc ports?

Michael Anthon michael at anthon.net
Mon Jun 16 09:30:30 EDT 2003

David wrote:
  > I don't suppose there's a way I can test it from home. e.g. use ssh
on the
> Linux box here to test if it works. I mean, I can vnc direct to the win2K
> machine ok, but rather than waiting until I get to the office tomorrow and
> trying it, I won't know if it's working. When I log on to the router I can
> open port 5900 but it gives me TCP and UDP options and I don't know which is
> correct.
>
> I did ssh <ipaddress> and it returned connection refused.
> ssh //<ipaddress> returns name or service not known.

VNC uses TCP.

It would be possible to test it if you could get remote shell access
(most likely using ssh) to the linux machine at your work.  You could
then tunnel the VNC connection from home to work, then tunnel it back
again to test it.  When you say "use ssh on the Linux box here" I'm
assuming you mean you have a linux machine at home as well?  Something
along the lines of the following
	ssh user at work.linux.machine -g -R 5900:home.win2k.machine:5900
-L5900:localhost:5900
would create a tunnel from port 5900 on the work machine to port 5900 on
your home windows box (if you don't have a local linux machine the same
effect can be achieved using putty), it will also create a tunnel from
the local port 5900 on the local linux machine to port 5900 on the work
linux machine.  Connecting a VNC client to home.linux.machine or
home.linux.machine:0 should then be connecting via this double tunnel
back to your win2k machine (:0 being display 0 or port 5900 (the default)

I'm not sure if that makes sense to you, just ask for clarificaiton if
it doesn't.  You would also need remote ssh access to your work machione
from your home address.

Cheers Michael