[H-GEN] Sharing folders on SMB - Mandrake 9.2

Stephen Brine sbrine at powerup.com.au
Sat Jun 14 23:37:30 EDT 2003

Hmm I discovered the same sort of thing in MD9.1 (which i think is what
Alex is referring to, as, as far as i am aware MD9.2 is not released yet,
at least to the public) which is on a dual boot system with XP pro. the Xp
partition is mounted in the linux tree and is fat32. If I create/copy a
file from linux partition on the windows partition it appears as the file
there, it has size and shape can be read or unzipped (as the case was for
me) BUT under XP did not appear in the directory it was put in. BUT on a
subsequent scandisk of XP about a hundred or more crosslinked files and
other 'errors' were detected and fixed by xp, which revealed the two files
(again my case) in the directories where I put them BUT there were severely
corrupted, including the raw text file I created. This (is a guess) may be
something stupid that MS has done to xp fat32 filesystem I don't know. It
may be another bug in MD's SMB ??? I solved the problem using FTP onto
another box then ftp back.

         Regards,
                 Steve B

At 13:03 15/06/2003 +1000, you wrote:
>[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and     ]
>[ Unix-related topics. Posts from non-subscribed addresses will vanish. ]
>
>I am wrestling with Mandrake 9.2.
>I have the network set up as a static ip network with a w2k machine as
>the internet gateway.
>On the Linux machine I can see my xp machine and a share called
>SharedDocs. In the /mnt/ folder I have the SharedDocs directory mounted.
>I thought this meant I would see the files on the XP machine in this
>folder!
>
>I opened vi as root and made a test file called 'test'which is in the
>/mnt/SharedDocs folder (directory!)
>On the XP machine I have a file called mini.txt in the ScaredDocs
>folder.
>
>On the linux machine I can only see the file I made on the linux
>machine. On the XP machine I can only see the file I made on the XP
>machine.
>
>What am I doing wrong?
>
>Alex Delaforce
>   Director of Technology
>     Ormiston College
>       [**alextdel at bigpond.net.au**]
>         [**dir.tech at ormiston.qld.edu.au**]
>

>--
>* This is list (humbug) general handled by majordomo at lists.humbug.org.au .
>* Postings to this list are only accepted from subscribed addresses of
>* lists 'general' or 'general-post'.  See http://www.humbug.org.au/

Blessed are the pessimists, for they make backups.