[H-GEN] Sharing folders on SMB - Mandrake 9.2

Rick Phillips rickp at suntech.net.au
Sat Jun 14 23:59:39 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-06-15 at 13:03, Alex Delaforce wrote:

> I am wrestling with Mandrake 9.2.
> I have the network set up as a static ip network with a w2k machine as
> the internet gateway.
> On the Linux machine I can see my xp machine and a share called
> SharedDocs. In the /mnt/ folder I have the SharedDocs directory mounted.
> I thought this meant I would see the files on the XP machine in this
> folder!
>
> I opened vi as root and made a test file called 'test'which is in the
> /mnt/SharedDocs folder (directory!)
> On the XP machine I have a file called mini.txt in the ScaredDocs
> folder.
>
> On the linux machine I can only see the file I made on the linux
> machine. On the XP machine I can only see the file I made on the XP
> machine.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Alex,

Check the permissions on the XP SharedDocs directory and make sure that
it is really "public".  The fact that you can see the file that you
created from the Linux box shows that it is probably a permission thing
but then having created it as root and being logged in as root is
probably not a good test.  Root can do/see anything.

To check what is in the XP shared folder, change to Administrator on the
XP box and see if the test file is really there.  It might still be
cached locally on the Linux box.

It's probably not the right way to check this (others will have a better
way) but is what I would do under similar circumastances.

If it is not on the XP machine, unmount the share on the Linux and that
should force a write.

As you have created the file as root, you should probably try setting up
a user on the XP box matching the user name and password that you would
normally use on the Linux box and make sure that user has
read/write/execute permissions on the shared folder.  Then try
recreating the file as the normal user.

All my shares at the office are the other way around.  I have my Linux
box set up as a Samba Server with a folder as public use and there are
no problems at all in the opposite direction even with a Win2000 machine
which is more security conscious than the Win98 machines.  XP is just an
iteration of Win2000.

Is smbclient running?  This may have an impact on the problem.

Regards,

Rick