[H-GEN] Desktop wars ..... (no not really)

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Sat Jul 5 07:51:03 EDT 2003

On 2003-07-05, Sandra Milne wrote:
> Greg Black wrote:
>
> >[1] Recent means in the last couple of weeks for Debian and
> >    about six months for FreeBSD.
> >
> If it was Debian 'stable' (Woody) then you'll find it's not "recent"
> compared to other distributions.

It's "unstable" (whatever that is), since "stable" was lacking
one or two critical features that were needed for my laptop.

> I use Debian testing on my desktop
> computer and have found that the KDE with that is a lot more stable as
> well as a lot more aesthetically pleasing. (No I do not like the
> 'lolly-wrapper' look of Windows XP.)

Maybe I'll re-install KDE at the next Humbug and have another
look -- I'm not completely sure if the KDE test was with the
current setup, although I am sure that the GNOME was.

> Maybe my karma is good or maybe I'm not a 'power-user'.

I don't know what a "power user" is, but all I was doing was
poking around with the setup stuff -- I wasn't actually doing
anything with the machine beyond trying to get the desktop to
provide me with some useful stuff.

> Stability is not
> something I've had problems with yet. I was expecting them given that
> I've had problems with KDE in the past, but so far it all looks good.
> (*Hunts for something wooden*)

I'm pleased to hear this, and will give it another go in a
couple of weeks.

Cheers, Greg

--
Greg Black <gjb at gbch.net> <http://www.gbch.net/gjb.html>
GPG signed mail preferred; further information in headers.