[H-GEN] Re: [Linux-aus] Linux Australia AGM Held

Russell Stuart russell-humbug at stuart.id.au
Mon Feb 3 06:03:34 EST 2003

Yes, no-one from Queensland is on the Linux Australia committee.  That
is not great news, but I am comfortable that the people on the current
LA committee will do their best to represent us (the various user
group's around Australia) as best they can, so I don't think it matters
much in the long run.  I am sure we will get our turn.

What I don't like how Linux Australia is organised politically.  As far
as I could tell, everybody views Linux Australia as an umbrella group
for the various 'nix user groups - a national body to represent us.  At
least that was how it was presented in the various discussions we had as
we chomped on pizza and drank beer at the LCA, and that is what they
seem to be doing in general when they help host conferences such as LCA.

But that is not what Linux Australia's constitution enforces.  As far as
I can tell there are *no* organisational constraints that ensure Linux
Australia reflects the wishes user groups it represents.  Anybody can
join LA as a member, and anybody can be on the committee.  This is not
an issue now of course, but it could be in the future.

To paint an apocalyptic scenario, imagine that due to general apathy
membership of LA was reduced to its committee.  Imagine that some other
organisation decided it might be worth a few brownie points to "take
over" LA, and do some nasty things in the name of the user groups it
represented.  All they would have to do is get 10 or so people to join
LA, appoint themselves to the committee at the AGM.  Presto!  Microsoft
suddenly is making pronouncements on behalf of the 'nix user groups of
Australia.

That may sound faintly ridiculous, but in fact LA _did_ consist of just
the committee members at the last AGM (or so they told us).  To rescue
Linux Australia from sea of indifference last years LA president, Anand
Kumria, used an inspired bit of trickery.  The LCA 2003 registration
form said in registering for LCA you also agreed to become a member of
Linux Australia.  Not many people noticed the paragraph at the time, but
Anand and the current president Pia made sure everybody knew about it by
the time the AGM came around.  To make doubly sure the AGM was held
immediately after a Q&A session that starred Linus.  In the end they
managed to orchestrate what was probably a record turnout at a LA AGM.
Its just as well they are on our side.

I don't know what the best way to fix this is - I am no expert in this
area.  Two ideas that spring to mind are:

  1.  Say that only paid up members of affiliated user groups
      can vote at committee elections, or
  2.  The committee is elected from a pool of candidates put up by
      the affiliated users groups, say 6 candidates per groups.

There are almost certainly other, better solutions.  I think any
solution would require a change to Linux Australia's constitution.  From
what I say at the conference, it needed changing for other reasons
anyway.