[H-GEN] 1. Public Samba share 2. apache Samba share

Sandra Milne silne at optusnet.com.au
Tue Aug 5 17:57:42 EDT 2003

Alex Delaforce wrote:

> Sandra,
> Thanks for the advice I am running permission on the web folder as
> "drwxrwxr-x root root "
[snip]
I wouldn't have root as the owner. Here is what mine looks like:

drwxr-xr-x    3 ix       ix           4096 Jun 30 12:20 ix
drwxr-xr-x   10 silne    silne        4096 Aug  1 03:36 silne
drwxr-xr-x    2 vesuvius vesuvius     4096 May 10 23:54 vesuvius1
drwxrwxrwx   12 www-data www-data     4096 Jun 11 22:15 www

I put mine under /home to keep it away from all the other stuff, and so
that if /home is ever moved to a 2nd hard drive because of space issues,
it'll go with it. And yes I am aware that 'others' shouldn't have any
rights because of this (from /etc/group):

www-data:x:33:silne,ix,vesuvius1

It's probably really ugly and really insecure, however it works for me.

Finally, my smb.conf entry:

[www]
comment = website and it is writable
path =  /home/www
guest ok = no
writable = yes
browseable = yes
create mask = 0775
directory mask = 0775

Probably the ugliest setup a lot of people have seen, but it works. I'm
quite happy to accept criticism so long as it also tells me how to
improve it.

Sandra.
silne at optusnet.com.au
  "After The Matrix, I cannot wear sunglasses.
  As soon as I put them on, people recognise me."
    -- Carrie-Anne Moss (Trinity)
JabberID: silne at jabber.org