[H-GEN] 1. Public Samba share 2. apache Samba share

Robert Stuart Robert.Stuart at qsa.qld.edu.au
Mon Aug 4 20:12:42 EDT 2003

Alex Delaforce wrote:
> Hello Robert,
>
>>Ok.  I'm not sure, but "public=yes" and "guest ok=no" might be
>>contraditory.  Also, become one of the users (eg alex) and
>>make sure you
>>can do an ls in that directory.
>

> I've tried ls with several of your suggestions and I can never get ls to
> run without giving the permission warning.

I'm not exactly sure what warning you are referring to; if possible, try
to paste errors into emails or type in some of it, even if it makes them
longer.

Not being able to do an ls in the directory indicates that somewhere in
the tree of directories above the one you are trying to ls, there is a
permissions issue.  You need to be able to "walk" down the tree and do
an ls -al all the way.  You don't need write permission on higher
directories, but for your purposes, they should probably be owned by
root and be group root with the "other" part of the permissions having
"r-x".

you should do something like this as "alex":

$ cd /home
$ ls -laF
total 16
drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root         4096 Jan 25  2003 ./
drwxr-xr-x   22 root     root         4096 Jun 17 10:46 ../
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Oct  7  2002 share/
$ cd share
$ ls -laF
total 16
drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root         4096 Jan 25  2003 ./
drwxr-xr-x   22 root     root         4096 Jun 17 10:46 ../
drwxrwxrwx    2 root     root         4096 Oct  7  2002 public/

That's probably what your permissions should look like.

Regards,

Robert