[H-GEN] Archive search

Bruce Campbell bc at humbug.org.au
Mon Apr 28 05:33:50 EDT 2003

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003, Stuart Longland wrote:

> Quoting Bruce Campbell <bc at humbug.org.au>:
>
> > On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Harry Phillips wrote:
> >
> > > I don't know if this has already been discussed but I can't search the
> > > archives.
> > >
> > > "The requested URL /humbug/search.html was not found on this server."
> >
> > Yeah yeah, I'm still working on the fancy archival search (reimplementing
> > google in your spare time is hard ;) )
>
> Why not use Ht://Dig?  There's no real need to re-invent the wheel.

'I like my wheels to be geometrically round, not with chunky corners.'

a) Its an amusing coding project for me.

b) Relevant / Smart Searches:

	ht://dig (and some other common ones that people tend to suggest)
	don't really perform searches of relevance, or other 'smart'
	searches (although sometimes annoying, the "did you mean 'foo bar'
	insead of 'fubar'?" is damm useful) to my liking.  See also (a).

c) Threading, threading, threading.

	Having threads that can literally span years, and being able to
	display them in a useful format, is a Good Thing(tm).

d) Code re-use - some of the basis of the backing storage is used for my
	other projects.

--==--
Bruce.