[H-GEN] Debian install floppy boot problem

Jason Parker-Burlingham jasonp at uq.net.au
Thu Apr 24 00:21:43 EDT 2003

Paul Gearon <pag at PISoftware.com> writes:

> On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Greg Black wrote:

> >   Calculating module dependencies... done.

> You could try editting /etc/modules.conf and commenting out anything to do
> with USB.  Alternatively (and a little nasty), you could just rename
> /lib/modules/2.4.xx/kernel/drivers/usb/ to something else so the kernel
> can't find the modules to load.
>
> (This assumes that the kernel is compiled to use USB as a module)

Good catch, Ben.  The "Calculating module dependencies" message
doesn't come from the kernel:

linux $ grep -rF 'Calculating' drivers fs include init/ ipc/ \
        kernel/ net/ lib/ mm/
drivers/video/pm3fb.c:/* Calculating various clock parameter */

Editing /etc/modules.conf is certainly the way to go.

jason, who'd assumed USB support had been compiled right into the
       kernel (being an installation kernel and all, I guess)
--
``I didn't program you for sarcasm.''