[H-GEN] Debian install floppy boot problem

Paul Gearon pag at PISoftware.com
Thu Apr 24 00:01:04 EDT 2003

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Greg Black wrote:

> I have made some progress, but I still can't get it to really
> boot...
<snip/>
> It does a lot of normal stuff, gets to setting the system clock
> and then prints the following lines (typed by hand):
>
>   Calculating module dependencies... done.
>   usb.c: registered new driver hub
>   PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 00:01.2
>   PCI: Sharing IRQ 10 with 00:01.3
>   usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0xd002f000, IRQ 10
>   usb-ohci.c: usb-00:01.2, Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 7001
>   usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
>
> And then it hangs.
>
> Now I'm wondering if we can tell it somehow to skip that USB
> stuff.  For my purposes at the moment, I don't need USB and I'd
> be happy to lose it if we can get the thing to actually run.

You could try editting /etc/modules.conf and commenting out anything to do
with USB.  Alternatively (and a little nasty), you could just rename
/lib/modules/2.4.xx/kernel/drivers/usb/ to something else so the kernel
can't find the modules to load.

(This assumes that the kernel is compiled to use USB as a module)

The concern I'd have here is that the USB code might be working fine.  It
might be the NEXT driver that's crashing before it prints anything.

Just to make the thing run... are you able to copy the kernel image from
the floppy to your hard drive?  You could create an entry for it in
/etc/lilo.conf and try to boot to that.  It probably won't support
anything useful (like wireless cards) but it might at least get you up and
running.

Regards,
Paul Gearon

Software Engineer                Telephone:   +61 7 3876 2188
Plugged In Software              Fax:         +61 7 3876 4899
http://www.PIsoftware.com        PGP Key available via finger

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
(Translation from latin: "I have a catapult. Give me all the money,
or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.")