[H-GEN] Debian install floppy boot problem

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Fri Apr 25 02:00:12 EDT 2003

On 2003-04-24, Paul Gearon wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Greg Black wrote:
>
> > Now I'm wondering if we can tell it somehow to skip that USB
> > stuff.  For my purposes at the moment, I don't need USB and I'd
> > be happy to lose it if we can get the thing to actually run.
>
> You could try editting /etc/modules.conf and commenting out anything to do
> with USB.  [...]

I booted from the rescue floppy and had to go through some fsck
cycles for some reason.  Then I looked at /etc/modules.conf and
it was full of warnings of the "do not edit this file" type.
Then I found /etc/modules which was short and mentioned two USB
modules (out of a total of four).  So I remounted the root FS,
used ed on /etc/modules.conf to comment out those lines, and
then it booted for the first time.

> The concern I'd have here is that the USB code might be working fine.  It
> might be the NEXT driver that's crashing before it prints anything.

Well, it *seems* that removing the USB stuff was the secret.

Now I have two more steps to take:

1. How can I set it up so that I don't have to interrupt it at
   boot each time to type at the boot prompt:

     boot: linux video=vga16:off

2. Find out how to get it to talk to my wireless card (which was
   the point of this whole exercise).

If anybody knows the easy answer to these questions, I'm all
ears.  But I'm happy to wait until the meeting tomorrow and let
people interact with it directly.

Thanks to everybody who has helped so far.  Now we're at the
point where we find out if it was all worth it ...

Greg

--
Greg Black <gjb at gbch.net> <http://www.gbch.net/gjb.html>
GPG signed mail preferred; further information in headers.