[H-GEN] Internet VPN Woes

Edwin Groothuis edwin at mavetju.org
Mon Apr 14 21:48:30 EDT 2003

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 11:02:15AM +1000, Peter Arnold wrote:
> My question is, given an IP address, how do I find out who is responsible
> and what are the chances of getting them to fix it?

You can find the information in the Whois database:
    [~] edwin at k7>whois 203.50.6.225
    [...]
    NetRange:   202.0.0.0 - 203.255.255.255
    CIDR:       202.0.0.0/7
    NetName:    APNIC-CIDR-BLK
    NetHandle:  NET-202-0-0-0-1
    [...]
    [...]
    inetnum:      203.48.0.0 - 203.51.255.255
    netname:      TELSTRAINTERNET3-AU
    descr:        Telstra Internet

Because you're going over the public internet, you have about zero
chance to have your complaint addressed and fixed. Why? Because you
don't have an agreement with that backbone provider. You have an
agreement with Telstra, all they can do it push their uplink who
pushes their uplink who can push their uplink. Worst case, nothing
gets done after or by Telstra, best case they all push and the link
which is saturated or slow gets fixed.

If you want to have a guaranteed response-time and bandwidth, you
have to pay to get a direct link. If you go over the internet, you
get best effort.

For more information, please also check:
    http://www.mavetju.org/networking/getcontactinfointernet.php

Edwin

--
Edwin Groothuis      |            Personal website: http://www.mavetju.org