[H-GEN] Re: Spam Assassin

Michael Anthon michael at anthon.net
Sat Oct 26 03:34:31 EDT 2002

> | More than twelve hours to assassinate and deliver 80 messages?  Did
> | you mean to type 800?
No, it was 80.

> Even if it was 800 messages, that would still be almost a minute
> per message.  That's so absurd that there must be some other
> factor involved.  If it's really 80, we're looking at 10 minutes
> per message and that's only possible if there's some serious
> problem in the installation (or some other system activity that
> is taking almost all the available resources).

I really don't understand it either.  My suspicion is that the various
factors I mentioned just meant that there was an awful lot more instances of
programs running than was good for the system.  It only has 64M of RAM and a
100M swap.  The few updates of the top screen that I saw showed that there
was no free memory at all and kswapd was using a lot of CPU time.

I have now reconfigured exim and SA (exim to run stand alone and SA to run
using spamd).  If I ever get really bored or brave I might generate 100
emails and see what happens...

Cheers
Michael