[H-GEN] Encrypting a tar backup

Jason Parker-Burlingham jasonp at uq.net.au
Thu Oct 24 10:47:28 EDT 2002

Andrae Muys <amuys at contal.net.au> writes:

> Well given that it was adopted as the new AES (American Encryption
> Standard; replaces DES), I would humbly suggest it has at least
> recieved a passing glance by cryptoanalysts ;).

Certainly.  The true test is what happens after receiving several
years of use out in the wild, though, which is why I'd still prefer to
trust other algorithms (RSA encryption, or 3DES[1]).

> ccrypt is what I personally have used to encrypt archives when we
> determined encryption was necessary (specifically a source-code
> escrow agreement[1]).

*** MISSING FOOTNOTE DETECTED ***

+++ OUT OF CHEESE ERROR +++

+++ REDO FROM START +++

> One hint though, probably a good idea to include both the source and
> the binary package for whatever encryption program you use
> unencrypted alongside any encrypted file!

That is a most *excellent* idea.

jason

[1] : Let's face it.  No-one here is encrypting data to withstand
      attack by governments.
--
| ``It's just a big electric typewriter.''                              |