[H-GEN] Encrypting a tar backup

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Wed Oct 23 20:20:49 EDT 2002

Andrae Muys wrote:

| > Actually you've probably hit the nail on the head---ccrypt (not
| > crypt[1]!) uses the Rijandel cipher, which is supposed to be quite
| > good (but I'm not sure if it's been extensively tested or not).
|
| Well given that it was adopted as the new AES (American Encryption
| Standard; replaces DES), I would humbly suggest it has at least recieved a
| passing glance by cryptoanalysts ;).

It has indeed, and some claim to know how to break it.  So far,
they have not demonstrated it and Schneier seems to be sceptical
of their claims at this time.  Read his newsletter (details in a
recent message) for more details.  For now, I'd keep using it,
but it pays to keep up with the news and that's where Schneier's
news is very helpful.

Greg