[H-GEN] Postfix question.

Ewan Edwards Edwards_Ewan_B at cat.com
Tue Oct 15 21:19:58 EDT 2002

Harry,

You have my sympathies.

I've been going through an almost identical issue.  As a result I was really
interested to see the responses to your original posting yesterday.  I too
have read through the documents about virtual domains, transports, aliases,
rewrites, etc., etc..  I even crawled my way through the Postfix anatomy -
the receiving part about ten times.  All in all, it was a very confusing and
frustrating experience.  I'm not looking forward to doing it again, but alas
I must sometime soon.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not making negative criticism of Postfix or the
Postfix documentation.  Postfix seems to be a very good application - its
proved thoroughly reliable for me so far.  The documentation also seems well
laid out and full of information.  My problem is my understanding of that
information.

I have very very little experience with mail systems and don't have any grasp
of the associated terminology.  As a result, I too have become dizzy and
nearly fallen off my chair when reading the doco.  I've even been known to
exclaim out loud "That's all very nice, BUT WHAT THE #$*%& DOES IT ACTUALLY
MEAN ?", and then start mumbling what seemed like the Swahili translation of
Shakespeare's Hamlet.

Depending on what further responses appear on this thread, I may post my own
plea for assistance.

Ewan

P.S.
No, I haven't yet managed to solve my problem.  Until I have more time
available, I'm grudgingly putting up with messages destined for local
mailboxes going out to the upstream smtp relay and back.