[H-GEN] Postfix question.

Harry Phillips hphillips at 4ward.com.au
Wed Oct 16 18:57:44 EDT 2002

Ewan Edwards wrote:

>of the associated terminology.  As a result, I too have become dizzy and
>nearly fallen off my chair when reading the doco.  I've even been known to
>
>Ewan
>
>P.S.
>No, I haven't yet managed to solve my problem.  Until I have more time
>available, I'm grudgingly putting up with messages destined for local
>mailboxes going out to the upstream smtp relay and back.
>

>>>Have a read of this...... http://www.postfix.org/virtual.5.html
>>>

>>I did, got dizzy, and nearly fell down. What does it all mean?
>>
>>Does anyone have anything that explains this stuff more clearly, quickly
>>before my head explodes.
>>
>>Regards
>>Harry

Ok, for anyone else that wants to configure their Postfix box to do what
Ewan and I had problems with, here are the four simple steps.

1. Add this line to /etc/postfix/main.cf
    virtual_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
2. Add the remappings to the /etc/postfix/virtual
    hphillips at 4ward.com.au    harry at localhost
    mforte at 4ward.com.au       mick at localhost
3. Run the command 'postmap /etc/postfix/virtual'
4. Reload postfix. I did that on my Mandrake box using the command
   '/etc/rc.3/S80postfix reload'

Anything sent to another address eg mcollins at 4ward.com.au gets sent to
the normal MX record. If you want to add other adresses later on then
all you have to do is steps 2-4.

Regards
Harry