[H-GEN] CRON, Scripts & files from http

Paul Clarke paul at qfm.org.au
Sun Nov 3 22:00:23 EST 2002

Hi all,

Now for my next step on the path to enlightenment!

Problem:
I want to have a debian box to copy a password protected file
http://x.x.x.x/jobacct.day from a printer to 1) a folder on an NT4
server or 2) a directory on the debian box and rename it to
mmddhhMMss.dat every 4 hours.

Detailed Problem:
We have a Phaser 860 colour printer that we charge each user the
consumables that they use. The black ink is free but the colour can cost
up to $1/page, so a flat rate is not an option. The printer has a
password protected file that can be downloaded from the web site on the
printer that contains the log of the last 50 jobs printed in a FIFO
basis. So I need to collect this file every 4 or so hours to not loose
any of the data (and the printing charges). This file can only be
downloaded via http://x.x.x.x/jobacct.day and I can't use a ftp app to
get it.

I have written an asp page that will do what I need but it works on IIS5
and not IIS4 (which is on the NT IIS box) So I am now thinking of a
solution where the debian box has a cron job that copies the password
protected file (which is easy in php, so I hope just as easy in a
script) to the NT4 box every 4 hours and renames the file to something
that represents the date and time. I can then have the ASP Intranet on
the NT4 box import the contents of the file into the database to
calculate the charges etc.

Question:
What do I need to do?

Paul (newbie and loving it)