[H-GEN] CRON, Scripts & files from http

Mark Suter suter at zwitterion.humbug.org.au
Sun Nov 3 22:35:53 EST 2002

Paul,

> I want to have a debian box to copy a password protected file
> http://x.x.x.x/jobacct.day from a printer to 1) a folder on an
> NT4 server or 2) a directory on the debian box and rename it to
> mmddhhMMss.dat every 4 hours.

The following should download the file and place it in the
current directory with a clean date based filename.

    wget --http-user=USER --http-passwd=SECRET \
	--output-document=$(date +%Y%m%d-%H:%M:%S) http://x.x.x.x/jobacct.dat

Wget is a fairly common utility and may already be installed.  If
it's not, "apt-get install wget" will install it.

The percent character has special meaning for cron, so you would
place the above in a shell script and invoke it from cron like
follows.

    0 */4 * * *	/path/to/script

Yours sincerely,

-- Mark John Suter  | I know that you  believe  you understand
suter at humbug.org.au | what you think I said, but I am not sure
gpg key id 2C71D63D | you realise that what you  heard  is not
mobile 0411 262 316 | what I meant.        Robert J. McCloskey