[H-GEN] DNS lookups

Luke Smith LSmith at qldfg.com
Thu May 16 22:26:09 EDT 2002

> Subject: [H-GEN] DNS lookups
> Hello World,
>
> Im currently contracting for telstra and some of my fellow geeks and I
> have been setting up our own Linux Redhat 7.3 box. The box is
connected
> to a massive network consisting mainly of WINNT boxes and servers.
>
> The problem we seem to be having is that all the boxes on the network
> can ping the Linux machine via it's hostname, however, the linux box
> cannot ping anyone by their hostname but can ping using IP's.

-snip-

> Conor Cunningham

Do the Windows boxes have DNS entries? (I guess not)

I'd say the WinNT machines are finding out each others names/IPs using
NetBT over IP broadcasts. Four possible solutions are-

1. Add DNS or HOSTS entries for all the Windows machines you want to
talk to (ugly)

2. Use an integrated DNS/DHCP service, such that when they request an IP
for a hostname the hostname is registered in DNS by the DHCP service for
your Domain.

3. Run a WINS server, all the Windows boxes register with it, and then
configure your DNS to use the WINS database as a failover. (Dead easy to
do with WinNT WINS/DHCP/DNS, don't know about your platform.) (Not a
very HUMBUG thing to do)

4. Make your host participate in the NBT war (erk)

--

If you are interested in using WINS you should check the Node Type of
the Windows machines as follows -

------------------------

C:\>ipconfig /all

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

        Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : workstation050
        Primary DNS Suffix  . . . . . . . : mydomain.com
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Peer-Peer
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : mydomain.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

 -//-

------------------------

also look in winipcfg on win9x machines.

The significant part is "Node Type", this is the NBT node type, and
defines how the machine looks for others on the network.

Configuration Value / Node Type / Explanation

1   (0x1) / B node (Broadcast) / Relies completely on local broadcasts
for name registration, discovery and release.  If the host  cannot be
found in the NetBIOS name cache or by local broadcast, name is not
resolved.
2   (0x2) / P node (Peer) / Forces clients to directly contact WINS
server if name is not resolved in local cache.
4   (0x4) / M node (Mixed) / Combination of B node and P node.  Cache
checked first, then local broadcast, and finally WINS server.
8   (0x8) / H node (Hybrid) / Like Mixed only in reverse order.  Cache
is still checked first, then WINS, then a local broadcast.  Default
setting for client side WINS configurations.

Type H is probably the nicest, if you have a WINS Server. The node type
is set in the registry -

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters
(ref:
http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/techresources/commnet/WINS/WINSwp98/WI
NS11-12.asp)

Add a value called NodeType (DWORD) and set it to 8.

Umm yeah... have fun :)

Luke Smith

Resident "Windows Weenie"

PS. If you anyone wants to hire a WinNT/Cisco nerd with all the
trimmings please check out http://www.macphisto.org/res.htm, thanks!