[H-GEN] installing Apache & TomCat
zzrasmit at uqconnect.net
Tue May 14 20:40:23 EDT 2002
[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and ]
[ Unix-related topics. Posts from non-subscribed addresses will vanish. ]
Ben Fowler has covered most of the pertient points.
On Tue, 14 May 2002, Matthew Taylor wrote:
> - comments on Apache/Tomcat cf JBoss cf J2EE platform of your choice?
Well Tomcat is a servlet/JSP engine not a complete J2EE platform. I have
heard good things regarding JBoss as a development platform although you
should be aware that it is not J2EE certified -- this may be a problem if
your customer requires J2EE certification.
As far as 'other J2EE' platforms go choices I am aware of include:
- BEA WebLogic (market leader, very expensive -- Oracle of J2EE)
- IBM WebSphere (based on Apache work, not too bad by all accounts)
- Borland Enterprise Server (good integration with all of Borland's tools)
- IONA iPortal Suite (very standards oriented, cheapest commercial server)
Borland's and IONA's offerings both have decent CORBA ORBs which may be a
consideration if you are dealing with a legacy environment. BEA's has
tight integration with Tuxedo (a distributed transaction manager) which
makes it a no-brainer in many environments.
>  apologies to the non java people on this list.
Why? Although dsig may well have been a better forum...
>  I'd come to really like the templating style used in webmacro, just
> noticed the 'struts' framework, anybody here using that?
No -- what is that about?
raymond at humbug.org.au "Try, or try not. There is no do." -- said during
a linux.conf.au 2002 organising committee meeting
* This is list (humbug) general handled by majordomo at lists.humbug.org.au .
* Postings to this list are only accepted from subscribed addresses of
* lists 'general' or 'general-post'. See http://www.humbug.org.au/
More information about the General