[H-GEN] installing Apache & TomCat

Ben Fowler fowlerb at optushome.com.au
Tue May 14 12:48:00 EDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-05-14 at 21:37, Matthew Taylor wrote:
> Just a few quick questions, hoping someone else here has experience with
> Tomcat & Apache.
>
> - should I go for Tomcat 3.3 or 4.1? documentation for 3.3 seems to be
> more complete and various examples around.... Tomcat4.1 utilizes ant and
> various xml files during the build process, the older 3.3 series seems a
> simpler build.

I have had less problems getting Tomcat 4.x configured and running.
Considering the fact that it supports a more recent servlets/JSP
standard, it's probably the best choice.

> I'd become very comfortable installing Apache/Jserv from tar.gz's,
> Tomcat install from tar.gz is more involved. Rpm's for the Tomcat 4.x
> series are only available at 4.0.3 cf 3.3.1 in the 3.x series. I've
> previously looked at rpm's for Apache&Tomcat but I tend not to trust
> 'unofficial' rpms, have had problems previously.

> I'm currently getting hung up on installing mod_jk (it supercedes
> mod_jserv) and working my way through the docs available from
> jakarta.apache.org. As I understand it I need mod_jk to connect TomCat
> with Apache.

Under Debian, installing Tomcat standalone is quite easy.  I have been
pleasantly surprised at how easy Debian makes installing a working JDK
and associated software.  It's Java support seems to be one of the
bright spots of the distribution.

I haven't tried integrating Tomcat and Apache lately, since the last
time, I spent five hours tearing my hair out and promptly gave up.
Other more skillful Java programmers on this list can advise you on the
specifics.

> so my questions are
> - is a Tomcat install normally such a hassle?
> - comments on Apache/Tomcat cf JBoss cf J2EE platform of your choice?

If you want to use free tools, the Tomcat/JBoss combination is a
no-brainer.  If you want to go commercial, expect to pay a fortune.  I
didn't believe my boss initially when he told me licenses for BEA
Weblogic were worth...

FWIW, JBoss now has Tomcat and Apache-SOAP/Axis integrated.  The latter
may be a tad dodgy but it's getting there.  We use JBoss quite heavily
for our development at work and bar some minor teething problems with
database connection pooling (we have to keep restarting every couple of
days of so when using it with MySQL), it's great.

> I'm sure I must have missed the easy way to install, my rpm install of
> Tomcat 'runs' , nmap shows it on port 8080, but none of the /test.jsp
> examples seem to work. (time to dig thru and sort that out now grr)
> connecting to my Apache install (built with mod_so from src) should be
> straightforward but hasn't clicked for me just yet.

The biggest reasons, IIRC, for JSPs not working is that it can't find
'javac'.  It's not sufficient that the actual java interpreter/JITter is
in your path.  Hope that helps :)

> [2] I'd come to really like the templating style used in webmacro, just
> noticed the 'struts' framework, anybody here using that?

Wanna give a DSIG talk? :-)  I'm sure we can fit you in if you're
feeling game.

-warmest regards,

Ben.

--
Ben Fowler, email: <ben.fowler at humbug.org.au> pgp/gpg key id: FFDE6AF7
  vanity web page: <http://azure.humbug.org.au/~zuul/>

                      "Who now remembers the Armenians?" -- Adolf Hitler
                                   (see http://groong.usc.edu/fisk.html)