[H-GEN] disk error

Nikolai Lusan nikolai at humbug.org.au
Thu May 9 20:54:41 EDT 2002

On Fri, 10 May 2002, James McPherson - Pacrim CPR Engineer wrote:

> > hda: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
> > hda: no DRQ after issuing WRITE
> > ide0: reset: success
>
> Shaun, it's not a distribution-specific set of messages. The message indicates
> that your /dev/hda returned a "busy" status when the kernel was expecting a DRQ
> response instead, just after it had issued a write. The ide0 channel then reset
> in order to clear the status on /dev/hda.
> I'd recommend you backup your data asap and investigate getting hold of a newer
> disk to use.

What james is trying to say (and is if you know what he is on about) is
that the kernel is telling you that your hard drive is about to die.
It's not a pretty sight when you start seeing those messages, you can
get a little extra life from the drive by finding the dead sectors an
partitioning off about 5MB either side - I don't recomend it but you can
do it. Basically you need a new drive.

Nikolai