[H-GEN] kernel panic interpretation

Andrew Pollock bahhumbug at andrew.net.au
Thu May 9 19:25:21 EDT 2002

Hi,

If, when booting, I get:

cramfs: wrong magic

followed by:

Kernel painic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:01

Is this referring to the root filesystem on the initial RAM disk, or the final
root filesystem?

This is a system with SCSI hard drives. Just prior to the above messages I see
the SCSI driver load, and detect two hard drives, and it successfully identifies
the partitions on sda.

I'm getting this booting a Debian system with kernel 2.4.18, after attempting an
automated install using FAI. I'm still learning how to drive FAI, and it
installs a 2.2 kernel by default fine, I'm just trying to convince it to install
a 2.4 kernel instead, and I suspect the initrd stuff is biting me.

Any assistance appreciated.

Andrew