[H-GEN] disk error

James McPherson - Pacrim CPR Engineer James.McPherson at Sun.COM
Thu May 9 20:07:03 EDT 2002

On 10 May 2002, 09:49:09 AM Shaun Nykvist wrote:
> Can someone enlighten me to what the following error means and how to
> overcome it.  I am in the process of installing debian 2.2r6 on a pentium
> 400 system with a 4.3gb hard drive. I am fairly new to the debian side of
> things but have used other distro's for some time.
>
> hda: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
> hda: no DRQ after issuing WRITE
> ide0: reset: success

Shaun, it's not a distribution-specific set of messages. The message indicates
that your /dev/hda returned a "busy" status when the kernel was expecting a DRQ
response instead, just after it had issued a write. The ide0 channel then reset
in order to clear the status on /dev/hda.

I'd recommend you backup your data asap and investigate getting hold of a newer
disk to use.

James C. McPherson
--
Pacrim CPR Engineer            828 Pacific Highway
                               Gordon NSW

Failfast panic: those controlling voices in my head have
stopped telling me what to do.....