[H-GEN] Best Easy Firewall

Tony Bilbrough mtbilbro at bigpond.net.au
Tue May 7 23:11:41 EDT 2002

G'day all,
I am wondering if E Smith fits this bill. I've not heard any one mention
it so far
I know there are a few other members  apart from me, running it.
It is almost self installing if you use a modem, and there is a patch if
you are cable.
The main caveat is that you should use PCI nic' and have a hdd that is
greater than 1 Gb. That said it only uses 300 Mb once installed. The
rest of the space is reserved for your server files.
It seems fairlty robust and I have only been forced to reboot once -
when theTelatra cable
system came back on  in such a way that E Smith did not realise that the
Bigpond server was indeed 'up' once more.

My version [ESmith 4.1] is based on RH with 2.2 kernal, but I think the
latest version has 2.4

I will be doing an install at the next Humbug meet [May 25] , if you
want to have a look at it
On a spare box this time!!!!!
It has an HTML interface as well as a text one. Quite a bit like the
Webmin one.
Oh, yes, E Smith is free, too

I must say, though, I like the idea of the solid state 'snapgear'  Does
any one have a ball park cost for a 'home' jobbie?
cheers Tony B