[H-GEN] Best Easy Firewall

Paul Gearon pag at PISoftware.com
Tue May 7 21:25:48 EDT 2002

On 6 May 2002, rodney wrote:

>  Which Firewall is the best , secure and easy for setting ?

There have been lots of good suggestions here.  Greg's suggestion of
removing the cable is the most secure, but it's *not* a filewall.  :-)

Personally, I've become enamoured of the SnapGear products (formerly a
part of Lineo).  http://www.snapgear.com

OK, so they're not cheap, but you didn't ask for cheap, you asked for
"easy" and "secure".  You also asked for "best", but no two people will
agree on that.

The snapgear stuff is built on a 2.4 linux kernel and uses iptables.  By
default the box cannot be accessed on its internet side, but you can
enable things if you're feeling reckless.  On its internet side I let it
tunnel ssh through to my workstation, but that's it.

Overall I've found it to be quite secure, and snapgear provide new images
for security updates whenever patches become available.

The best part is that they are solid state.  No fans!  :-)

Since Snapgear are local (in Wooloongabba) they may be willing to do a
cheaper price for HUMBUG members, but you'd have to ask the right people,
and be very nice about it.  :-)

Regards,
Paul Gearon

Software Engineer                Telephone:   +61 7 3876 2188
Plugged In Software              Fax:         +61 7 3876 4899
http://www.PIsoftware.com        PGP Key available via finger

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
(Translation from latin: "I have a catapult. Give me all the money,
or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.")