[H-GEN] problems with accessing mail at bigpond

Greg Black gjb at humbug.org.au
Fri May 3 03:21:51 EDT 2002

"baz" wrote [re-formatted for legibility]:

| I'm trying to set up fetchmail to download my mail from
| bigpond but not having much success.  It comes back with the
| message " couldn't find canonical DNS name of
| mail.bigpond.com".  This is what bigpond says is the mail
| server but the mail headers show something different each
| time.  just tried using dig on bigpond.com several times but
| reported timing out each time.

This isn't much of a problem report.  What happened?  What did
you expect?  What name server were you using?  What question
(exactly) did you ask?  What was the exact answer?

Just FYI, the two bigpond.com name servers both give the
following data for the A record for mail.bigpond.com:

    answer: mail.bigpond.com 3600 A 144.135.25.9
    answer: mail.bigpond.com 3600 A 144.135.24.9

It sounds as though something's wrong with your setup, but
that's hard to determine when you give so little information.

Greg