[H-GEN] Multiple Display

Christopher Biggs chris at stallion.oz.au
Sun Mar 10 23:13:46 EST 2002

Scott Pullen <spullen at optusnet.com.au> moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake thusly:

> I want to use the display on another machine (part of my private
> network, low traffic) to extend the display on my primary machine.   I
> believe I need to add the display to the Xservers file

No, you don't.

> What other files/entries need to be made.  How do I get my local xdm to
> use the screen area in the other display

Note, the terms "display" and "screen" have special meaning in The X
Window System.

> as if it was one continuous
> screen?

This is impossible.

However, you *can* control both displays from one
keyboard and mouse.

1. Log in on "main" machine (let's assume it's the one on the left)
2. Log in on machine 2.
3. On machine 1, run
   $ x2x -to machine2:0.0 -west &

There is also a program called "x2vnc" which allows you to do this
with a unix and a windows machine.

> They are different sizes, does this matter?

No.

--
 Christopher J Biggs \ chris at stallion.oz.au \ Vice-Pope Torture & Indulgences
 Stallion Technologies\ Brisbane,  Australia \   Holy Church of Givashitology